10 Ways to Best Care for Your Carpet
When it comes to flooring, carpet can be an absolute pain to keep on top of. It doesn’t matter whether or not you have a thin carpet, or you are dealing with plush, thick carpets across your home. Carpets can become dirty very quickly and do require a lot of maintenance to be able to keep them looking new and clean. The good news is that there are lots of methods, tips, tricks and advice that can help you to ensure that your carpets remain well maintained. You need your carpet to be hygienic if you want your home to look and smell good. Carpets add beauty and comfort to your home, and they also add a layer of insulation. To ensure that your carpets last you for a long time, you need to know about the different cleaning and protection methods that you can use to keep your home clean and tidy.
The good news is you don’t have to figure this out by yourself. You may already know that the best way to keep anything clean is with prevention measures. Taking proper care of your carpet and maintaining it will help you to ensure that you save money and not have to replace your carpet along the way. Below, we have some of the ways that you can ensure that your carpet is kept clean.
- Make sure that you have a good entrance mat. The very first tip that you need to be able to keep your carpet clean, beyond buying the best robotic vacuum for thick carpet, is to ensure that your entrance mat is a good one. When people walk through your home with shoes on, they are bringing the dirt from the outside and spreading across your home. This means that any bugs, soil, trash from the street, and bacteria are trod through your home. With a good entrance mat you can prevent this from happening as people are able to wipe their feet properly before stepping foot on your carpet.
- Don’t rub stains. When you spill something on your carpet, or something splashes from a mug onto carpet, you must never rub the stain. In fact, rubbing at the stain is actually going to damage your carpet further. Instead, you’ll want to blot the stain before you use anything else to clean it up. Rubbing stains will weaken the fiber and can become permanent.
- Treat stains well. A stain that is not treated very well will reappear at the surface of your carpet. You could think that you cleaned the stain and that you can’t see it any more, but soon after you’ll see the stain marking its way down into the surface of your rug. Cover any stains with a thick cloth and weigh it down with something heavy overnight. The cloth will absorb the stain, and then you can clean the stain as usual.
- Avoid using household appliances to dry carpet. If you’ve cleaned up a stain and you want to dry the carpet quickly, the best thing to do is just leave it out. You could open doors and windows to help proper airflow, but one of the worst things that you could do is use an iron or a hairdryer. Adding heat will seal the stain permanently onto all your carpet and that will only make matters worse which you are trying to avoid.
- Invest in a good steam cleaner. Steam cleaning your carpet as often as needed will help you to have a clean carpet at all times. If you don’t have the means all the time to do this, you can hire a professional to do it for you as they will have professional steam cleaning equipment to use. A thorough cleaning will be needed at least every six months, so make sure that you invest well.
- Choose an easy to maintain carpet. One of the best ways to care for your carpet is to make sure that it’s one with easy maintenance levels. The thicker the carpet, the harder it can be to maintain, so make sure that you speak to carpet experts so they can tell you which are the best ones to buy. A hard wearing carpet is especially important if you have children, because children make the most messes.
- Always use mild cleaning products. As much as possible, try and stay away from the hot cleaning products with plenty of chemicals. Chemicals in carpets don’t often mix, neither does bleach. Choosing mild or naturally based cleaning products is going to help you to ensure that you get rid of any stains or issues with your carpet, while ensuring that you haven’t made any further damage to it. Mild carpet shampoo is still always going to be the best solution, so make sure that you’re paying attention to what your carpet needs.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Carpet cleaning becomes a challenge when you stain them, it’s always better to take preliminary precautions and clean the carpet at frequent intervals. Checking the manufacturer’s instructions on cleaning products is going to help you to ensure that you are using them appropriately and not damaging your carpets further.
- Match the material to the cleaning product. Look for products in the shelves of your local supermarkets and hardware stores and try to match the type of product you buy for cleaning to the type of carpet you have. If the carpet that you have is quite thick and long, then try and find a cleaning product that won’t soak it through too much. Damp and wet carpets can become moldy and you don’t want that to happen when you’re trying to keep them clean.
- Vacuum regularly. Lastly, if you want to keep your carpets clean and care for them properly, then you need to make sure that you are vacuuming to make it early enough. You don’t want grit, mud, or dust ingraining itself into your carpet. Investing in a good vacuum cleaner will help.
Please note that some of the links above and below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you. All opinions are my own.